Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Spring Break

I am so bummed that I forgot my camera, but I want to try to "paint" a picture of our sledding trip, it was pretty special. We left home in the afternoon to head for the hills, packed up our sleds, ze ole' snowmobile, food and fuel for two nights in the mountains.

Picture this: A snowmobile with 2 adults, in full regalia, ropes behind to two sleds, one with Victoria decked out in her ski mask, goggles, and helmet, Grant behind her in the same. But that's not all folks....behind Grant was a red plastic sled with a tub full of our food and extra clothes, and a case of bottled water, and behind that another red sled with a propane tank and battery for the camper. It was hilarious! Luckily no one was on the trail on a Thursday afternoon.

Off we go and let me tell you the poor snow mo bubble had its work cut out for it. The road up there is real steep right off the bat so at least I did not have to worry about Gentry going too fast! It was a pretty warm sunny afternoon so after the worst hill I decided to walk the rest of the way. I could tell that Gentry would not need me on the back looking at the procession the whole way, it was quite safe. I think I got a good three mile walk going in.

We all got there in good time and I made soup, unpacked and got us all ready for reading, games and bed. We woke up to snow, had pancakes with bacon this time and I even had chanced packing eggs...they made it! The kids went with Gent up to a trail that leads to some spectacular views and while they were gone I scrubbed the camper down, top to bottom. In the afternoon the kids went sledding. These new sleds have runners and steering so Grant took the steep drop off the hill of the campsite, and went on down through the trees, Victoria tried it and hit a tree once( she was not hurt) so she decided to stay on the road from then on. They would sled down to Gerry's and then Gentry would haul them up behind the snowmobile. They were both pretty sick with colds so it was wonderful to see them enjoying themselves. It snowed off and on throughout the day and late in the day Gentry and I took a walk up through the trees. The snow makes walking through some of those real steep overgrown areas much easier. We made it to our favorite look-out and it was gorgeous!

Saturday morning we had biscuits and gravy, and came home before the weekend revelers showed up. And we were glad we left when we did. I can't tell you how many huge trailers we met driving out full of snowmobiles. There were so many in some of the groups that it was a roar, I really don't see how that could be that much fun. I walked out about 1/2 way and then Gentry and the kids picked me up and I watched to make sure everyone was OK behind. They had more trouble going down hill with the sleds since the ones behind had a tendency to try to pass. So, for added decoration to the wagon train, Gentry tied on a bunch of branches (high tech solution) and that seemed to do the trick. It was a pretty funny sight, but it was a ton of fun! I smile everytime I think about it!

5 comments:

Renee said...

....and I smile reading about it!!

Your MIL made your banana cream pie for us last evening when we were privileged to dine at their table. It was DEELISH!!

Brent and Dayla said...

You are making wonderful memories for your family...and so cool we get to read about them, too!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the "verbal visual" Sounds like a good time. Biscits & gravy in a burried camper...why not, can't break the tradition, right? Gerry started something way back with the biscit & gravey thing...I still love it too but don't get them that often.

Dad Burgess

Anonymous said...

What a fun spring break! I am enjoying seeing all your paintings - makes me want to try the crayon thing just to see how it works, even if I am not much of an artist! Yours turn out so neat. Love, Karen F.

ALB said...

Sounds like a real fun time! So do you guys ever just have a bowl of cold cereal?? To bad were not closer so we could enjoy the snow!