Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Georgia O'Keefe style cards

Because I know you will want to try this, it is easy and fun, I will show you the steps. This started out as a kids art project for second graders, and they did a great job, and I have become addicted to the process after making 50 of them for thank you cards for our volunteers. Today I thought I would try my new paper. I love the olive green color. It turns out that it was probably a mistake to try something new but....being willing to take chances is what art is all about. As you can see in the picture, you will need some oil pastels- grin. With kids I have them draw a big circle somewhere in the middle, but for myself I like a more uneven outline. Starts with a scribble basically.
Then you can add a contrasting dark color for the area between the petals. With the students we used cool and warm colors, they would pick one or the other and have three colors to choose from. If they pick warm colors for example, they would could choose a red, an orange and a yellow. If they choose cool colors they may have a dark blue, a green and a light blue. The darkest color is the background color that goes between the petals. The middle one goes on the area closest to the middle, and lightest on the tips of the petals. Of course the petals go off the edge of the paper. (A new concept for a lot of kids.)
I always instruct the kids to start at the edge of their circle and work outwards with the strokes they make with thier pastels, pressing hard and getting lots of color on. Then we blend in the same way with our finger, from the center out. On my example, this would have worked better if I had put more pastel on the paper.
An option for adults, or for kids at home is to use mineral spirits and a brush to blend the colors. This is fun for all sorts of oil pastel painting!
Then it is time to define the center, sometimes I make them very large, sometimes very little, it is fun to experiment to see what you like best.

These colors are not my favorite combo, so I had to wipe it off with a little mineral spirits on a rag, and redo the leaves with a base of white (because of the dark background it makes the yellow look green-yuck) and then the yellow over the white. Much better.
The end result on this one is what I will have to send to my sister. She gets all my rejects, and most of my nicer ones too. :) Hope you try it. Let me know if you like making them as much as I do. Great mothers day gift!


4 comments:

Alison said...

Reject? I Sure like it! Good Work!

Hall's said...

I still have the card you made me using this technique. I've tried to copy it but failed. Maybe the step by step method will help, but 2nd graders have me beat. SMILE

Roger said...

Very creative, Elaine! I'm sure the kids you work with will always remember your creativity. You need to save up a bunch of your work and have an exhibit. I don't know where you might start with the exhibit...but, you know, our Bank maintains exhibits of different art work throughout the year....maybe your's would be interested! Then you can work up to the major exhibits!

Dad Burgess

ALB said...

I would like to place an order of these Thank you cards...would you be able to do a bundle of 20? Thanks - Just let me know how much I owe you!:)