Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Special Recipe Box

In this day and age of accessing any on-line recipe with any ingredient at our fingertips, I am feeling quite melancholy for days of yore when we passed down hand written recipes. The recipe above is one of my Grandmother Lucille Frohbieter's. Apparently there was some dispute between my mom and dad about how to say it. One thought it was Anadama bread and one thought it was Amadana! Cute. I love to think of Grandma making it in their cabin on the Sweetwater River, back when Jeffrey City was just called,"Home on the Range." Dad says she made it all the time. It is quick and easy and we all enjoy it!
Speaking of treasured recipes....Victoria made this sweet little recipe box in her woodshop class. We were cleaning up around the computer today getting ready for our fiber cable install (Yipee!) and found the old cardboard box of recipe's (my mom's) that Dad and Elaine brought me. They have been sitting here waiting for me to go through them and type them up. Apparently that is not going to happen anytime soon so Victoria said, "Mom, why don't you put them in the box I made you." It is a nice marriage of recipe and box and is special treasure to me.

5 comments:

Mimi/Susan said...

In a home tour I saw a recipe that looked about like this and it had been custom matted and framed(maybe 5x7?) and placed on a frame easel and became a kitchen counter decoration..a special touch.

Anonymous said...

It would be fun to try the recipe sometime. Is Indian meal the same as corn meal? Love, Karen F.

Lainey said...

Yes, Indian meal is corn meal. I should have specified that. It is actually a really good bread recipe.

Troy and Beth said...

My grandma was a great cook and any time she made bread she called it "d--- good bread" maybe that's the way to prounouce it! *grin Uh oh, that was probably a bit racy for this blog...I'll have to see if you delete my comment. I better go wash my fingers with soap!

Lainey said...

Don't go losing sleep over it Beth! HA.