Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

This is what my husband braved the wind, rain, dark, and traffic to go get for me on a particular election day. For me. For my birthday. Smile. I am so happy to be the proud owner of an almost new craigslist special 1940's Sunbeam waffle iron. It is just like moms which I was hoping to get someday but it may have gotten sold at auction, and it makes a perfect set of four waffles each time. Some things cannot be improved on so why do they keep trying? The white marks on the top is an upside down reflection of a chicken, with an apron and a spatula that V. drew on our blackboard. (I love it so I hope nothing happens to it!)

According to Gentry the best part of Craigslist is no tax, but I like the no shipping charges, since I was planning on getting one on Ebay to the tune of 17.00 in shipping. The fun part about Craigslist is the places you go and the people you meet. This particular waffle iron has a story that comes with it. Modern day waffle irons are sadly lacking in stories. It was first owned by a woman who's husband owned the Old Mill in Preston. The granddaughter still lives in the house, part of which was one time the Mill office and built in the early 1900's. It was added onto in the early 30's. The house does have an abundance of charm, and a whole fleet of cats too, sadly. Anyway, it was a fun escape from the woes of being sick, getting older, and watching depressing election news in the rain. I spent some time making it mine (cleaning it up till it shines) and now we can have a waffle, any ol' time!

10 comments:

VJ said...

Its old.

Mimi/Susan said...

Happy Birthday!

Roger said...

It looks amazingly good in the picture....It is 68 years old! I doubt that we have any modern appliences with kind of longevity! It is nice to know the history on the piece.

Be sure to watch and feel the cord when you use it. Those old cords can short out sometimes.

When you say it makes 4 waffles, I assume you mean one waffle with four pieces about 4x4?

Happy Birthday and happy waffle making!

Dad Burgess

Lainey said...

It gives me hope, something older than I am and still making waffles to beat the band and it looks pretty good too. Hee hee.

Dad, dont worry my "electrician" checked out the cord before we made the big purchase.

Kent, Melisa,Tiana (and Coda) said...

It's very cool! I'll be looking forward to seeing it in person someday!

Hilary said...

It was your birthday this week and we had no cake and singing at meeting last night?! For shame! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Brent and Dayla said...

Happy Birthday!!! I love your new waffle iron!! When I saw the photo, it reminded me of my mom's old waffle iron (which she claims at my ripe old age of 3 yrs I destroyed it by trying to cook a tomato in the waffle iron & I'm going to guess it sat there for a while). I think it is so cool that you found such an awesome item on craigslist & got the story behind the life of the waffle iron, too! Amazing!! And what a good husband to take a break from remodeling your rental to get it for you. Happy Birthday, Elaine!!!

Shirley said...

Sounds like you had a great birthday and got a really neat gift! A waffle iron with history, with character! It probably works better than my waffle maker, which incidentally is also square and shiny silver metal, but is only several years old and was purchased at Fred Meyer! Not nearly as interesting... :)

Renee said...

Aha....it's exactly like Delton's parent's waffle iron and it does make the best crispy waffles!!! I don't blame you for wanting one! Theirs still has the fabric sort of cord, too....must be they made things to last back in that day!

I had to chuckle at Victoria's comment...she's too young to understand that sometimes "old" just can't be beat! Happy Birthday, by the way!

Anonymous said...

Well Happy Birthday my friend.
That brings back memories for me, as I grew up with one just like it. Remember one of my first attempts in cooking was making buttermilk waffles in it.

You've been doing a good job of rekindling memories.

Miss you!