Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Color is good for you

We did not have a very successful garden this year, but we did get some of these very pretty and delicious purple carrots. "Why would anyone want orange carrots?" says Grant after trying some of these. I am hoping to include them somewhere in our Thanksgiving feast. Have you already started thawing your turkey? Have you made your pies yet? Are you making anything new and unusual this year? We are trying a new turkey recipe. Everything is better with bacon, so we are putting some under the skin. I also made a smokey pepper jelly which is supposed to be a good match with the bacon crusted turkey. I'll let you know how it goes. I actually feel a bit nervous about the whole thing, but we must be strong and brave. So must our guests!

7 comments:

Hilary said...

The turkey is thawing, I'm baking today and tomorrow, and I'm also trying four new recipes: stuffing, a wild rice & corn casserole, a pumpkin praline pie & an eggnog cheesecake. And right this minute I'm running out to the grocery store for possibly the 7th time in the last three days :)

Hilary said...

And I forgot one other new recipe -a Cherry Waldorf salad. Boy, we're really going to be in trouble if all of these new-fangled things end up being awful!

Roger said...

Well, the carrots do look good. Are they the same flavor? They certainly add a dash of color.

Yup, you are brave to jump off the cliff with a new turkey concept....Sounds good, though! Have a happy Thanksgiving.

Don't forget some of the old stand byes like mashed garlic potatoes and good Turkey gravy!

Dad Burgess

Anonymous said...

I'm preparing more than one meal this weekend 'cause it's our special meeting time. The pumpkin pie is going to have a gingersnap crust this year, and there's a chocolate blueberry pie I'm going to try. The Jeweled Rice with Dried Fruit recipe has me a little worried, but nobody comes to my house without expecting the unexpected!

Mochas, Mountains and Moby Wraps said...

hey, at least it's not tongue as has been known to grace the table in burgess households i recall! how strong and brave must one be for whatever the iteration as long as it's turkey??! now, as for purple carrots - i've never seen such a thing! have a happy, yummy day!

Pharmgirl said...

Yes I tried something new -- a new apple pie recipe -- but it's not actually going to be included with thanksgiving dinner because I think the measurements must have been written down wrong or something. It was a disaster in my book, but mom says Dad will eat it, so ... if it goes down AND stays down, I'll downgrade it from disaster to a simple disappointment!
I'm having one other brave addition to this year's dinner: guests! Gulp!

Kent, Melisa,Tiana (and Coda) said...

I was blissfully relegated the dessert option! The joys of going far out of town for Thanksgiving! I had poteca (a crushed walnut filled bread!) and pumpkin cake made in plenty of time for the trip. Do share the bacon turkey recipe!