Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sleeping under the stars *****



We were so crazy about the outdoors this last trip that after our Davis Peak excursion we decided to sleep out under the stars. Some fascinating facts came of this. 1.) The rack on the top of the pickup bed was a perfect fit for a queen-size inflatable mattress. 2.) Elaine still has a fear of falling. 3.)Getting off of this thing, in the middle of the night (who's idea was it to rehydrate?), in the dark, after climbing a humongous mountain, and having really really sore muscles, is very entertaining- in retrospect. The first picture shows Gentry's fanaticism. Yes, the bed was completely level. It really was very cool and I would love to do it again- I'll sleep closer to the ground next time though. I loved trying to figure out what constellation was what, finding initials written in the stars, seeing shooting stars and watching the moon move across the sky during the course of the night. We both did sleep, we were exhausted remember? If you haven't ever done this- put it on your list!

7 comments:

Roger said...

Interesting way to spend an anniversary night to say the least! I'd want bed rails for sure. That first step could be a killer!

I doubt you'll forget your 20th. I'm really glad to see you guys enjoying the VR and the outdoors. Somehow, the closer to the stars you get the closer God seems

Dad Burgess

Anonymous said...

I always love looking at you pictures...and your adventures! Wow, you do have an exciting life,and the hike looked like so much fun! I loved Grants invention and the comments from the big sister were making me laugh! Your blog reminds me of old times we had as kids with your family...good times! Love, Lorraine

Anonymous said...

Sounds better than sleeping on the sand! Ever tried that? Don't.

Love, Mom

Renee said...

Oh my! What a delightful adventure...it cracks me up to think of you snoozing away up on top of your vehicle. Such FUN! Oh, yes, and the stars must almost seem like you can reach out and touch them when you are at that high of elevation...and without any light pollution to interfere.
Happy belated anniversary...I do believe the way you commemorated it, was a smashing success. Thankfully not smashing in the literal sense...as to when you clambored down in the middle of the night!! :)

Hilary said...

I think it's romantic! :)

Pharmgirl said...

You crazy kids, you!

Alison said...

Hee hee! This really made me laugh! Way to go Elaine! I was trying to imagine waking up in the night to go use the um... bushes... and climbing down. LOL! Thanks for sharing! loved it!!!