Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Encaustic Meadowlark

I am trying something new...encaustic crayon painting on fabric. This is on linen, an old napkin to be exact. As my first try I don't think it completely stinks, and I have learned quite a bit. Slow learner that I am I did discover several times how hot my hot tray really is when wax has been pooling up on the surface for awhile. Yowza! I did finally learn it was best not to touch! The fabric is much harder to work with since it takes much more product to saturate and give it time to work so it is more "painterly". It also likes to bunch up and move around quite a bit. If I do it again I will secure it much more carefully. I will try it again sometime I suppose, but I am not sure what to do with one meadowlark.....I am afraid the photo might look better than the real thing. The thing that is likable about it is that it looks old already since I did it on a yellow napkin that shows though somehow, pretty cool really. A happy accident.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the textured background! It adds depth or richness or something a non-artist can't describe. Keep trying it; you'll learn new tricks every time.

Love, Mom Burgess

ALB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ALB said...

Great painting Elaine! It looks so real on that texture. I love being related to good talent. :)

Mimi/Susan said...

That is beautiful! How about making it into a decorative throw pillow? Might be a good idea to try out in a high end design shop..they're always looking for unique items. And it would be inexpensive enough to fall into the "impulse" buying category.

Lainey said...

Thanks for all your wonderful kind words! The fabric gets really tough with the wax on it so I dont think it would work out for a pillow, but something like a tote bag would work. Thanks for the great idea, now does anyone want to sew??? That is definitely not in my realm.

Kent, Melisa,Tiana (and Coda) said...

Very beautiful! And, I'll let you borrow my sewing machine!