Saturday, June 7, 2008

A Beautiful Biscuit


I think I have found my favorite biscuit recipe. I have tried all of the biscuit recipes I have in all my books and in magazines and even some ones I have seen online. I used to always make Bisquick biscuits but since the mix has artificial flavor and preservatives it has now been crossed off my list. My criteria for the best biscuit is that it has to be simple with no special ingredients (like cake flour for instance) and easy to memorize. And most important it has to rise up puffy, with a crunchy crust, soft inside, with fabulous flavor!


Here is my favorite: Simple and tried and true.
2 cups of flour
1 Tablespoon of Sugar
1 Tablespoon of Baking Powder
1 tsp. of Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. of Salt
1/2 cup Cold Butter- cut into bits
3/4-1 cup of Buttermilk
2 Tablespoons of Cream (optional)


Oven 450. Mix dry ingredients together well. Cut butter into small pieces and add to mix. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles meal. Make a well in the center of the mixture and stir in buttermilk until it comes together to make a ball.Transfer to a lightly floured surface, pat dough into a round about 1" thick and cut into biscuits. Dip the top of the biscuits into the cream , or brush it on. Bake 10 minutes.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm going to ask Gerry to make some for me...doesn't even have to be Saturday morning....any day will do!

Dad Burgess

Alison said...

These DO look perfect! Can't wait to try them!

From a "pop a pan of frozen bisquets into the oven" cheater! ;)

Brent and Dayla said...

Thanks for the recipe! Dayla

Kent, Melisa,Tiana (and Coda) said...

And they are oh so yummy! Easy to make, too!