Thursday, February 21, 2008

Mystery Solved

Everyone was much too clever so I will go ahead and tell the rest of the story....
It all started with the hump. What is under the hump? A picnic table should be under there somewhere.
Grant starts digging to see if he can find the picnic table. How much snow is there on top of it? Surely it can't be that hard to find out.

This is Grant standing on the ground. The top of the picnic table would be about to chest level on him.

This photo puts it in perspecive with Gentry standing on the top of the hump. Grant is standing on the ground on one side of the table.
Escalation is the name of the game. It is never enough to spend a bunch of time digging a tunnel, one must also start building on top. Dad is making some very handy Igloo makins' with his boat paddle. Who needs a shovel?
Building the base.

Grant peeking out of his cave.
And further escalating the fun is going in at night with your battery operated lantern. The whole igloo was glowing green!
The only other light is from a full moon. I don't know why the mountains call to us when there is a full moon but wow it was beautiful!


And a visitor shows up at a more civilized hour!



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic bunch of pictures! The ones on the side bar of Grant retrieving the shovel are just the best. But wow, what a GOB of snow. The igloo is just awesome...I would never have guessed that was what the first mystery picture was!! Your kids will remember this experience all their lives. The brother workers built my sisters and I a snow igloo one time and it is a favorite childhood memory of mine! Lastly, Victoria, that is one awesome stocking cap on your head! You go girl!!!

Renee in NE

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures up on the Vertical Ranch. Man, that is a lot of snow! Tell me about the cooking up there on this trip. I expect it was a little harder being creative in the small area and limited resources.

Dad

Pharmgirl said...

Wait a second - this is the place you suggested I go to for my next vacation? Perhaps Beth didn't explain me well enough! haha My calendar this month says, "I love not camping!"
Glad to hear that all that snow is not in your backyard in Kirkland!

Brent and Dayla said...

Great photos!! I couldn't believe it when Reid told us you spent overnight up there. I think you all are a brave family..esp. the girls!! Grant looks like he was in his complete element!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photos...Sounds like a good time...maybe not for teen age girls, though. Tell me about the meals?

Dad Burgess

Lainey said...

Dad, we had to pack in everything (guys hauled up the propane bottle!) so we kept things very light. Lunch was sandwiches, toasted in the oven so they were hot and quite yummy, with hot chocolate and coffee. Strangely enough the water was still flowing into Huckleberry Pond so we had water from that. (And also had a case of water bottles still there from summer- frozen but we thawed them out for the walk back.) I had made up some cabbage type rolls without cabbage, substituted an italian type filling with pesto, mushrooms, hamburger and cheese inside, and we warmed them up for supper Monday night. Breakfast was pancakes, I was wishing for some bacon but we decided we'd live without it once. For protein we had peanut butter on the pancakes with hot simple syrup or maple syrup to go on top. Next time I will go ahead and bring the bacon. Much better than pb. :) We were toasty warm and dry in the camper, heat was on and except for the lack of a bathroom, all was quite convienent. I will post some more pictures soon I promise.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Torry...glad to see you took your "Husker Stocking Cap" with you! You look great.

Pops

ALB said...

When Micah saw these pictures...he said, "cool, can we go there?"
It looks like some great sledding hills! We love the digging done by Grant & Gent!

VJ said...

Haha! i was torture. i knew people would like my hat!

Lainey said...

I am pretty sure VJ meant IT was torture, but what she said is very true also, especially according to a certain sibling.

VJ said...

oops! lol

VJ said...

oops! lol