Monday, February 25, 2008

Biscuits and Gravy: Step One

Like a lot of parents these days, I am trying hard to eliminate the artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives in the food I serve to my family. I have found a recipe without the aforementioned that my family heartily accepted! Not an eyelash was batted at the substitution and by making this up myself I am pretty confident that there will be a $ savings also.

"Jimmy Dean" original style breakfast sausage recipe:
1 lb. ground pork
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. parsley
1/4 tsp. sage
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. coriander
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)

I did not add the crushed red pepper since that is usually added to our "adult" gravy and the kids do not really enjoy the spice. Try it and see what you think. I can't believe it was this easy.

1 comment:

Brent and Dayla said...

Oh, I am SO excited to know the "secret" to Elaine's biscuits & gravy!!! Yeah!!!!!!!! Do I dare try this lest it becomes a Saturday morning breakfast request every week? Oh well, I can't wait to try it out!!! Thanks so much for sharing! Thanks a hundred times over! Dayla