Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Gully




See this gully? There is a memorial at the top of this gully. Some newlyweds on their honeymoon tried to turn around here in the dark. It seems like an unlikely place to try this endeavour so one must imagine that judgment was impeded by either spirit or love.




This is Gentry, carrying a very large chunk of snow. According to observation, the male species upon seeing a ledge of this kind must either spit or throw something over. So it goes.




Some of the snowman parts that went over made it all the way to the bottom, over the littering of more like it, and on top of a large rock at the bottom to end up with a satisfying splash into the river, bobbing down deep, coming up and floating on down river like a small boat. That was truly rewarding. The others were hardly worth the effort, and an effort it was as the snow had melted enough to make them quite secure.

Now keep in mind what I was experiencing at this time. Grant, who is not particularly cautious, getting as close as possible to the edge as he can and trying to dislodge these frozen together chunks of ice.... and really snow can be quite slippery. Gasp! And double gasp.

4 comments:

Hilary said...

Elaine, you make me laugh :)

Mimi/Susan said...

Thanks for leaving a note on my blog. I tried to think who you were and then realized that I had been following YOUR blog! I had looked at your home bldg. blog a few weeks ago. My hubby also builds and you can see his site at goproperties.com. This started as an "after leaving the corporate world enjoyable thing to do" and I guess you could say it was for a few years, but housing has not been a FUN thing to do, with the housing slump, for the past year!

Roger said...

Elaine...multiply the concern by 4 (Gent, Troy, Brian & Wade) and you will understand why Gerry & I spent more than a few tense moments watching the boys "perform". Of course, now that the statutes of limitation have expired... we are learning more that would have made your hair stand on end...if I had any!

Dad Burgess

Lainey said...

I can honestly say that I don't know how you survived! Although according to Gent, at least you had a spare kid or two in case one perished. Whatever!