Wednesday, May 21, 2008

$0.14

Can you even believe it?
I spent two man days running around, finding tax records, getting copies and sitting in an auditor's office. (Value of my time? Difficult to calculate but invaluable to me.)
Gentry spent time on the phone- Anger managment sessions with me. ( My rate just went up!)
My accountant spent several hours on the phone with me, looking up records, getting copies. (Value of over $200.00)
An employee of the Washington State Employment Security office spent two man days using a fine tooth comb to sift through all our records...at the expense of the taxpayers......(Value? None.)

All because of a 14 cent discrepancy. HELLO!!!! They say that we were a random audit but I do not prescribe to that particular theory, but nice try. We had an employee (underage neighbor kid at the spec house who we could write a book about) that we went to the trouble of getting a special permit to let him to work for us, he worked for two hours, unsupervised, without our knowledge or permission, without signing his W-4, and expected to get paid. We reluctantly paid him, paid the taxes on him but did not have a ss# (they moved) so didn't file the a W-2 on him. Funny? Somewhat. Expensive, very. Time is so precious.

4 comments:

Hilary said...

Yuck. I'm sorry :(

The Lewis's said...

Sounds like fun. Graham and I are planning on comeing to the family reunion. It has been so rainey here that it feels like I am there.

Kent, Melisa,Tiana (and Coda) said...

ARGH!!!!! Sorry!

Anonymous said...

My sympathy1 However, we could live in Mynmar, China, Mexico or a number of other places where we would not have to deal with this sort of thing...but not many people are trying to get out of the good 'ol USA. I do worry about the future, though...maybe because I'm getting older and am concerned about some of the changes we are seeing in this country. I can't think of any where else I would want to be, though!

Dad Burgess