Thursday, April 9, 2009

Polvorones

In preparation for our upcoming Mexican Fiesta potluck, I have been trying out some new recipes of authentic Mexican cuisine. I really enjoyed these Mexican wedding cakes or polvorones, and they look so sweet that I wanted you to try them too.

1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup pecans, toasted, coarsely ground

1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon

Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until well blended. Beat in flour, then pecans. Divide dough in half; form each half into a ball. Wrap separately in plastic; chill until cold, about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk remaining 1 1/2 cups of p. sugar and cinnamon in pie dish to blend. Set cinnamon sugar aside.
Working with 1/2 chilled dough, roll dough by 2 teaspoonfuls between palms into balls. Arrange balls on heavy large baking sheet, spacing 1/2 inch apart. Bake cookies until golden brown on bottom and just pale golden on top, about 18 minutes. Cool cookies for 5 minutes on baking sheet. Gently toss warm cookies in cinnamon sugar to coat completely. transfer coated cookies to rack and cool completely. Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
Sift remaining cinnamon sugar over cookies and serve.

I am also going to try making homemade tortillas, so if anyone has any advice, let me know.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I tried tortillas once, but I didn't have amazing results. I decided to leave it to the experts. Let me know how it works for you.

Lainey said...

That was not the encouraging word I was hoping for, but I will let you know. Smile.