Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I like it!



I love the idea of writing a book for a child before they are born. The story illustrated by this painting is about a child with no name who won't quit crying, and the parents consult a wizard to find the right name. Finding the right name can be very difficult. This illustration is done by Eric Orchard. The writers made a very good point: It doesn't matter how well childrens' literature is written if the illustrations are lousy, the book is lousy (my interpretation of their comment). I sure do appreciate good illustration! Isn't the beard/cloud/ piggy tail connection delightful? The snow coming down in tiny little snowballs tickles my fancy. The article in the Vancouver Sun is here.

2 comments:

Renee said...

The artist in you is speaking!! :)

What I love about that illustration is the pig...isn't his expression cute...and those lovely ears flopped over almost to hide his eyes! I agree...the illustrations, are of utmost importance!

Anonymous said...

If I had my life to live over, I would choose to be a writer and illustrator of children's books. Maybe that's in the future for you, Elaine.

Love, Mom Burgess