Monday, December 3, 2007

Hasenpfeffer

It is a very rainy day here in the northwest. Over 2-3 inches of rain in the last 24 hours and lots more to come. The coast is having hurricane force winds, and there is a lot of flooding especially in the Olympics but also in the Cascade Mountains. (And including any low spots in our yard and for you sport enthusiasts we are filling up our mud pit for mud wrestling in the basement- stay posted for the entertainment schedule.) To keep myself thinking warm dry thoughts I have decided to bring out moms recipe box.

This recipe is from my fathers side of the family: the Frohbieters. I would really like to try it so if you know of any hunters that could provide me with the makings let me know! Ty????

Hasenpfeffer from Aunt Emma (Frohbieter) Shackleford (my grandfathers sister)

1 whole hare, boiled until very tender with the peel of one orange and salt
2 cups dried apple- measure before cooking
1/2 lb. raisins
1/4 lb/ currants
1/2 lb. prunes
1/4 tsp. pepper, or to taste
Orange peel

Cook each fruit separately, save juice.
Combine above ingredients after cooking.
Cut orange peel in some small pieces and add along with the juice from the rabbit and the fruit.

Plus: 1/2 cup vinegar
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. allspice

Then add enough flour to make a thin sauce. Then put back on low heat to just cook the four and melt the sugar etc. Let stand, refrigerate for several hours or overnight before serving. Good! Yummy!

Emma's notes to mom: Lou wrote this recipe down one day for me. There was no written recipe before which convinces me that this Hasenpfeffer is an original concoction. Originated by a Frohbieter or a Graper in the dim past. None of the measurements are absolute. I guess they just did it according to their taste but I do believe that the proportions should be followed if you want this particular flavor - which I think is extraordinary and unlike any other flavor. I can't understand why most people that I have given some of it to (unless they have Frohbieter blood) do not really like it. I have not offered it to many folks and have never given out the recipe. Do make it sometime and let me know how it turned out for you. I'll bet you will have fun. Emma.

It does sound fun! Let me know if you get brave and try it.

My parents had hasenpfeffer on their honeymoon, so it must be a very romantic dish!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Elaine, if you can't get a rabbit to use in the recipe, try it with cow's tongue. You might have something new and extra good! Love, Karen F.

Anonymous said...

Eww...hasenpfeffer sounds yucky. Way way worse than cows tongue, but I do think you should prepare a batch and take it to your brother and sister-in-law for a nice holiday gift...you know forget the traditional cookies and fudge, they go for the unique and unthought of anyway! :)

Renee in NE

Lainey said...

Yes, it is a good thing I found this recipe in time! :) My mom was a brave woman, ate pickled pigs feet, brain, head cheese etc. but I do not remember this on our table. Ever. And I am not complaining.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm reading your blog backwards and still commenting. I have tasted the hasepfeffer at your mom's house. I guess....I'm not a Frohbieter! It was too fruity spicy for me.

Speaking of brains, your mom served us a beautiful and delicious New Year's Eve supper of brains and ebelskivers (sp?) She wouldn't tell us what the meat was and I thought it was something exotic like octupus...When she told me, I couldn't finish the last bite on my plate. Since then, I've thought this through, and if anyone asks me if I like brains, I say, "yes I do, cooked a certain way." Smile...Love, Bonnie