Saturday, November 21, 2009

I have enjoyed listening to this book on tape in the car while doing errands. It struck a cord with me because so many of the memories written about were things my mom talked about growing up in Minitare Nebraska. Her first 7 years before they moved to Wyo to get a new start. She had special needs as a child, I can't remember the condition but she needed to have citrus fruit, which was very expensive and hard to come by in the depression. I do believe she felt guilty about that. The other thing I have enjoyed about the book is the recipes that were shared. I have tried and loved both her biscuits and her applesauce cake. I decided to order a copy so I could give it to the kids if they ever become interested in the way some of the family was raised. Besides, the authors name is even Mildred!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Interesting to note that her maiden name was Armstrong. Gent's great, great grandfather was an Armstrong from Fairfield, IA.