Friday, January 16, 2009

Fellowship

Sunday morning we woke up and had a quick breakfast- cereal and milk I believe. Then on to Cabo San Lucas for the meeting about a two hour drive, going over much of the same ground we had been on to get to the Casa, and more. Remember, dirt roads, winding narrow paved roads with cows all along the side. Interesting to me all over again. We had planned on meeting the family at the hotel but that was thwarted. We went to the gate, the guard took Gent's license and told him that he had 15 minutes or we'd Pay! That took some time to "get over" but we did. Since the folks weren't in thier room that did not work out so we decided to try and call them somehow. Our phones did not work- I didn't think about getting international calling on our plan. I foolishily just assumed they would work. So, we did have the number for a Melisa- her sisters place was where the meeting was. We found a place to buy a phone card, and a phone booth (that was a step back in time!) and called her. She gave us directions.....now picture this....we had nothing to write on but the kids have picto-chat on thier DS games so I wrote on that. It was funny to be calling from a phone booth and taking notes on a game board. That was some help but not really. We had no map, and Melisa suggested that we get a taxi and follow it. So where to get a taxi? The hotel wasn't a good option. So we had passed Costco and decided to ask there for help calling (still trying to meet the rest of the family) they let us call, but no answer. So we asked there about a taxi. Sure enough, one was right there. We couldn't get the message of where to go to the driver by my lousy note taking, so we called Melisa again and she gave the driver the directions in real spanish. It was nerve-wracking, humbling, exciting and I was laughing at it all. I knew they had to be laughing at us too. My understanding of what others have gone through to bring the gospel to other countries has deepened my respect for them. They have to be so brave! Anyway, we did not give up and were so richly rewarded by a sweet sweet and very memorable fellowship with family and dear friends. Special Meeting, Cabo San Lucus, 2009
Boys

boys,


boys,

boys,

boys,

and more boys. We love you guys! My favorite part of the Special Meeting was the sisters asking these little children questions. The one I remember best is: "Do you have a will?" "Si" "We all have a will of our own." The message was that we must ask what God's will is for us first thing every day. Not always easy to do, but necessary.

4 comments:

Wrena said...

wow! I could have crawl'd into your suit case! we finally got snow yesterday. want ta come snowshoe?

Roger said...

You had quite an experience just getting there! But the experience will not be soon forgotten. It makes you feel for those who don't take getting to meeting seriously enough and miss for relatively minor inconveniences...they miss a lot!

Dad Burgess

Anonymous said...

Good I didn't know what you had been through so early Sunday morning. Might have made it difficult for me to concentrate on the meeting!

After we went to Peru, my desire deepened to have my children experience a third-world meeting. There is nothing like it to put things in perspective.

Alison said...

Elaine,

what an awesome experience. Thanks for sharing with us!

Alison