Friday, July 25, 2008

Modern Day Ghost Town


"We are the longhorns, the longhorns are we. We will go down in history...."
Looks like they have updated the school building at least for the few remaining souls living here.
Townsite could use some of the Maintenance....Jeffrey "City" was owned by Western Nuclear.

The Local Grocery Store: I have lots of memories associated with this store from dogs chained up in front that I always petted much to my moms horror, to buying little books for a dime, as well as whole bags of candy and comic books. How many times was I told not to run in the store? I even had the unfortunate lesson of taking back an unpaid for treasure, apologizing and paying dearly (my mom could go on and on and on!) for it. Remember the spree packages with romantic scenes? I loved those. Candy cigarettes? Good stuff. Pop bottle candy (wax bottles with cool-aid type stuff in them...yuck) and cinnamon tooth pics.
This fellow has taken up residence. He was not at all spooked by us trespassers.
Beggars lice (a weed) and ants are abundant homesteaders.

Dad walking our old driveway on to which he added a side walk. It was the only one with a poured patio out back. Try not to be jealous now. Smile.
And to think, it was such a big deal when they paved the streets.
The view from our house.


Neighbors: The Smiths perhaps? 3 does and 4 babes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So great to live vicariously through your walk (drive) down memory lane!! Hope you enjoy your trip...It looks like you're having a blast!! Love the Wiewecks

Roger said...

Looking back is sometimes painful, sometimes nostalgic, sometimes sentimental....but often not what the actual situation was. I've had this experience with the Newport place in Iowa. There is now a car dealership where our old home sat!

Dad Burgess

Anonymous said...

Elaine, I just got caught up on your most wonderful blog. Your creativity should be combined with art and words...like a book! It was wonderful to paint together again. The set is still out there and I still have good intentions...suppose the flowers wilted...oh well, I did the conv bench didn't I, and you did the flowers... and yours aren't wilted!
The JC pictures remind me of when we went out there for dinner once and your mom stuffed a fish. It looked just like a magazine picture, only it was real, and delicious!
Love, Bonnie

Brent and Dayla said...

Elaine, It was cool to read a bit about your home area & to think of what life in WY must have been like for a little girl. Thanks for sharing. Dayla