Friday, March 7, 2008

Newspaper Article: Jeffrey City High School




This article was sent to me from my sister-in-law as it appeared in the Riverton newspaper lately. It is of my brother Brad and his best friend Justin during shop class from his senior year of high school. I had almost forgotten how Brad had worn his hair long and had sideburns for awhile. Brad was so tall, look how much bigger than Justin he is! A gentle good natured giant. He would let us girls style his hair, admittedly a bit reluctantly, and certainly not publicly, but we had such a great time together. I guess we were full of fashion do's and don'ts at that age ourselves.
I had to laugh at the "Uranium Giant". For some reason I never saw it like that- it was a small town then and a ghost town now. The brand new gymnasium that was built when I was a senior is what the locals call, "the most expensive calving barn around." I guess it is always good to remember that fortunes can be changed in a day. There is no security in this life.
And to commemerate that time in our lives, my page is the school colors, green and white with the longhorn as our mascot. "Green and White, fight, fight, fight....we are the longhorns, longhorns are we, we do what it takes to gain the victory!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure this brings back pleasant memories of your years in Jeff City. How true that in business and life...change comes quickly and not so predictably! How fortunate we are to have a hope for the future. You and Gent need to enjoy each other, your children, your family & friends each day for who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Dad Burgess

Lainey said...

Exactly. Thanks for saying it for me. Love you Dad Burgess!

Shirley said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I actually came across yours the beginning of the month while I trying to figure out how to set up mine (I started at Nadine Behrend's, then on to Donna and Jim, and on, and on, and on...) I admired your snow pictures! My daughter Caroline says yes, she knows your daughter Victoria. It's interesting that Caroline has also been friends with another Victoria (in our Sunday am meeting)for several years, and this Victoria's mom uses the same nickname or short version that you do! Now that we've met "virtually" we'll have to meet sometime in person! Now I'm going to your new blog. :)

ALB said...

Elaine,you must be very proud to have had such a brother...we can be very thankful for special memories that we hold dear in our heart of loved ones that have reached a better place.
It is good to have that constant reminder of what we need to be striving for.
Big Hugs~ Your Sis

Wade Burgess said...

You know, I had a brother who spent a lot of time in shop class too. But I'm not sure he was as productive. Since I am not sure of the statute of limitations on certain activities I'll leave it at that. You might want to ask your husband. He would be most familiar with a series of case studies in misaligned student creativity.

Anonymous said...

Mom was telling me about this article. Brad certainly was a gentle giant. Sure fun to think about those times. I always remember us playing Monopoly all those winter months, when my kids want to get out the Monopoly game! I not quite as fond of it as I was then! Of course my inlaws MUST abide by the rules religiously, and we made them up as we went along!
Leona