Monday, December 28, 2009

Winter Visability


I was talking to my dad the other day on the phone and he reminded me of a story from our days out at Jeffrey City.



He had an employee at the mill that bought a piece of property south of town. Since most of the weather came from that direction, Dad asked the man why he did such a thing. The man answered that he didn't think he would have any problems, he had a brand new 4 wheel drive!



Winter came, as it generally does, and with it snow and lots of wind. One day dad started to get worried, the man living south of town did not show up at work, did not call, nothing. He was just about to go looking for him when he came to clock in. Dad, asked him what the matter was, and did he have trouble getting out with his four wheel drive? Well, he replied sheepishly, no problem with the truck, I just had to find it first!



We used to get drifts over the tops of the houses. I remember one year our phone line went out. The kids walking to school tripped over the wire! I write these stories to remind myself to be happy with rain! It works!!



Thinking of all of you living through the big blizzard in the East and Midwest. And oh so thankful it is not me this time! :) Be safe.

3 comments:

Roger said...

We have some snow drifts that are real doozies here! I'll try to get some pictures your way.

Thanks for a nice Christmas Holiday!

Dad Burgess

Anonymous said...

Fun to read your story...I remember some real snow and cold when we used to visit you in JC! It was fun when we were kids...but I get really tired of it now! They are predicting -16 here tomorrow...I think I will stay in where it is warm! I love the painting...will you come visit me? :) Lorraine

Steve Shepperd said...

One morning after a particularly bad ground blizzard, we were sitting in the living room of the teacher trailer that we were living in at the time. Vroom!!!! Vroom!!!! Over the top of the trailer went two snow machines...overnight the snow had covered the front half of the trailer and the drift went up and over the part we where we were sitting. One of the neighbors had to come over and dig out the front door so we could get out. Those were serious winters...