Sunday, August 2, 2009

Whistle Pigs

There has been so much going on I am sadly behind in blogging and quite overwhelmed so I will just update something trivial instead of the whole 9 yards. The NEWS: VR has a burrow of Whistle Pigs, or Hoary Marmots. Grant and I saw one of them come up to the trail to the Lookie Loo, great big leaves hanging out of its mouth. Once I became aware of them, I heard them calling back and forth to each other. How exciting! They are little fur balls about the size of a large house cat...in case you did not know...
and they live in burrows, are awake during the day, are vegetarians, hibernate during the winter months, and chirp to each other, and trill when danger is near. Thrilling!

3 comments:

grmasusie said...

These whistle pigs "love" to chew into cabins in our area. They also chew saddles if they can get into the horse barn. I guess they like salt? We had some get into our barn when we lived on Elk Mtn years ago. They were like watch dogs...anytime something drove up, they would whistle and alert us! They are very fun to watch.

Lainey said...

Well, the only saddles we have to worry about are the ones on the three wheelers... I doubt they will feel too tempted by those! The cabin thing is something that I hope we get to worry about by and by! I do get a kick out of the little critters.

Roger said...

They are cute little buggers...maybe we'll see one when we are up there!

Dad Burgess